Saturday, December 05, 2009

At the Beach


On the Shore
by Alexander Rossi
British, 1840-1916

To view more Alexander Rossi paintings, go


This painting shows the common dress of beach visitors of the 18th and 19th century. How much more picturesque the women were, with their pretty summer dresses and hats to shade their faces.




Acclaimed 19th and 20th century British genre and portrait artist Alexander M. Rossi was famous during his time for his many charming domestic scenes depicting children.







Interestingly, Rossi was born in the Ionian Islands, but as an artist, he lived in Preston and London. He exhibited from 1870-1903, including 66 times at the Royal Academy 1871-1903, Suffolk Street (47 works), the New Watercolor Society and numerous other prominent galleries in Britain.


Alexander Rossi Biography from  Artnet.com:

Rossi's paintings that were exhibited at the Royal Academy include 'A Family Group', 1871; 'Caught in the Tide', 1889; and 'Their Morning Bath', 1900. He was a member of the Hogarth Club and died in Golders Green, London on January 9, 1916.



Interiors of the Season


If you are in the mood to relax and look at nice photographs of interesting decor, these two sites have December arrangements. It might not be your style but it is sometimes relaxing to look at a house without laundry and dishes and people's shoes and sox all over the place ;-)




Very pretty fabric here, if you'll scroll down:


If you have some rooms you would like me to show, please send me your link, and I will include it here.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just found your blog recently and really enjoy it. I was listening to an audio by Dr Alice von Hildebrand that I think you would really enjoy, and it is only $1.50. It is called "Women as Wives and mothers." She has others that may also be interested in. She also has a book called, The Privilege of Being a Woman, which I have not read yet. The audios are available at Keep the Faith . org

Blessings,
a mom of 6

Anonymous said...

It is disturbing that people go out in public dressed in things such as "swimsuits" that look more like underwear. I just came from a Christmas parade that featured several dance studio students. I was shocked at the way the girls from one studio were dressed. They were supposed to be reindeer but they looked more like PLayboy bunnies!! I would have been upset if that were my teenager daughter (this was young teenage girls and not little girls). I think back to what Lady Lydia has said about protecting our daughters--sometimes people just don't think about appropiate dress because we have become so used to seeing these things. It is very sad to me.

Anonymous said...

hi just found your blog looks intresting but print to small to read would you please consider enlarging it so people who are sight challenge could access what seems to be helpful and encouraging content. thanks

Anonymous said...

I was going to make a point about the men also being well dressed in the painting. Far more attractive than hairy beer bellies or, even worse, the Speedo bikini bottom that some men wear. Yuck!

I have stopped wearing bathing suits at the pool. My children love to swim, and I enjoy being with them, so I now wear workout wear with a t-shirt over it. It's not at all attractive, but I get to have fun with the childen, and I am never overexposed in public. Even though I know my appearance is rather ugly, I don't feel embarrassed or immodest in any way. It's very liberating!

Anonymous said...

Mrs Sherman, I encourage you and the other readers to check out the Dockers ad referenced in Your Sacred Calling website. The link is on your sidebsr

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lydia for posting the post from Anonymous 5:28PM.

I looked up the Dockers advertisement on Sacred Calling.

If that is a sales ploy it worked. They did their demographics. There were at the time 43 votes of approval and only 4 of disapproval. Some of the women actually bought the garments for their male family members because of the advertisement.

Now if some wise and bold entrepreneur in womens wear would do the same for women and get a good similar rating that should be enough for the garment industry to reverse the 'trash' they are producing. Well I can dream!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lydia for posting the post from Anonymous 5:28PM.

I looked up the Dockers advertisement on Sacred Calling.

If that is a sales ploy it worked. They did their demographics. There were at the time 43 votes of approval and only 4 of disapproval. Some of the women actually bought the garments for their male family members because of the advertisement.

Now if some wise and bold entrepreneur in womens wear would do the same for women and get a good similar rating that should be enough for the garment industry to reverse the 'trash' they are producing. Well I can dream!

Anonymous said...

My secret for finding clothes that are not "trash" is to buy at thrift stores. This way the clothes are a little older and probably look a little better and more modest. Also, you are not helping the people who are producing this "trash" by buying their products and lining their pockets.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this by Dockers? Its worth reading!
http://www.us.dockers.com/season/landing.aspx

Lydia said...

Thanks, youall,for telling me. I willadd it to th side.