Friday, December 25, 2009

Sparkle Cards and Tags


by David Doss


This is an easy activity for a child (or for some of the rest of us). You can also use it for a card, if you place the outside of the mitten on the folded edge.  Just use the pattern I have provided, and paint the cuff with glitter glue, and then sprinkle some glitter on it. I used pink, here, but you can use whatever colour cardstock you wish, and add your choice of glitter colour, or use mica flakes for a special effect.

Cut these snowflakes from regular paper and paint with glitter glue, adding extra glitter if you like. This is crystal glitter, but it would look great in other colours. One is plain, and another is plain with glitter; the third one is a lacy snowflake.

Fold your paper into fourths, and cut out one of the fourths. Then square it, and fold into triangles three times.

This is how you make a square (above) by folding the point of the paper up to the edge and cutting off the excess.


You can see the 4 steps to make your snowflake here, folding the triangle smaller each time. Lay the pattern on the smallest triangle and trace it. Cut along the lines you drew and open up your pretty snowflake.  One pattern is for a plain snowflake, and another one has the holes cut out so it will have a lace effect.

I have included a few other patterns to fill up the paper. One is a hat box gift tag or ornament or card. Just leave off the fold-down portion of the lid if you do not want a card.  Decorate and glitter, as you wish.  Another is a gift shaped card or ornament, and can be coloured or painted or used with glitter paints, such as polymer.






Those smaller pieces are the snowflake patterns, which have to be placed on the folded edges of your triangles. The one on the right is the plain one, with no holes.

As usual, some people say they have trouble getting my patterns to print. If this does not respond to "print", try highlighting and pasting, as I explained in the previous post.

Greetings to you all and blessings abundant!

14 comments:

Lydia said...

There will be a couple of political articles coming in the future. You wont think I am so "meek" then, I'm sure ;-)

Lydia said...

Punch small holes on the upper sides of the hat box card, and run a little string or ribbon through it.

Lydia said...

It has been a very relaxing day for me here and I did not make a big deal out of Christmas. I enjoyed the decorating but I did not shop for gifts. It was just more fun to give away a snow flake or offer a cup of tea. I also cut fourth yard pieces of fleece to make a scarf or two for friends, but other than that, it was low key. I got a beautiful cd at the Dollar Tree called Italian Cafe, which had great music on it, and can wholeheartedly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lady Lydia,

Thank you for your beautiful Christmas ideas! I can't tell you how comforting it is to hear you say that your Christmas is low-key, as I struggle every year, not feeling up to doing a lot with little children around. I always feel like I'm not doing enough when I am around others who go all out and lavish expensive gifts on everyone (including us).

Love,

Marqueta

Lydia said...

Anyone here familiar with blogging? I would like to know how to get the Lovely Whatevers picture to show up on the blog roll section. The Pleasant Times shows up quite well, and each time that blog changes, a new picture appears on the blog roll spot. However, I cant quite figure out why my other blog, "Lovely Whatevers" does not. I went to "layout" today and tried to change it but it remains the same.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady Lydia,

I just wanted to tell you Happy Holidays from The Princesses and I. My little ones love your blog as they are big time crafters. We are going to print out your patterns and go to town.

They love to look at your blog and Princess Joy tells me "Look Mama, look how pretty it is!" and points to all the pictures she loves and describes them.

Princess Grace is a big time dress fan and INSISTS on wearing a dress (on the rare occasion she is not) after viewing...if she is wearing a dress...she wants one of yours.

LOL!

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Anonymous said...

Your second photo is really pretty, especially with your lovely blouse...quite Victorian.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas especially with glitter. I love things with glitter!


:) candy
I love the pictures of you, so pretty you are!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your political articles...hurry!

Anonymous said...

Seeing your mittens on a string reminded me of something I saw in a knitting book that solves the problem of children constantly dropping gloves out in the cold, or losing them around the house.

Two mittens should be permanently connected to one another by a soft cord that is long enough to go from one wrist, up the sleeve, across the chest, and down the other sleeve. The cord is worn inside the coat or jacket, so that when mittens come off, they still dangle from the sleeve.

When they are taken off inside the house, they can be hung by the cord on a peg, and never lost. ;)

Thank you for your blog. You are my encouragement (along with the Lord).

daffyds_wife@yahoo.com said...

M'Lady,

What a lovely website indeed and such a place of warm encouragement and beauty for women, young and old alike.

There is a great deal of information on modest, feminine dress, which I am grateful for. It is not easy to find simple patterns that meet my own clothing desires.

I wish you God's continued blessings.

~Inion Wilton

Anonymous said...

On another blog I saw a beautiful picture of a farm house similar to the one in the top picture the roof of it had glitter on it as did some of the trees and such. Looked like snow. The entire frame had gold glitter and was more like a flat box round the picture with the inner edge of the frame more like scallops. I think you could get the same effect using a cereal box you cut to make a frame and adding the flitter. I hope to find a good picture of an old Victorian home or barn and try this idea out. If I find the blog I will give you the address. Then you can see what I mean. It was quite prettty I thought. It was not done by the lady but just on her mantal along with the other pretties she was showing. I am really looking forward to anything you have to inform us about Lady Lydia! Our Christmas was very relaxing too and being with our family was the best gift of all.

Anonymous said...

I found the site I saw the picture on. It is Manuela's blog http://thepleasuresofhomemaking.blogspot.com/ It is in her December 21,2009 post. I had remembered this picture wrong as there is no glitter on the roof and no scalloped edge to the frame. Instead there is a design printed around the inside of the frame. I was very taken by this little picture and thought it would be pretty out all winter long. One in a summer picture could be out oat other times. Just another idea of something we can do ourselfs from things we may already have. You might have a Christmas card you can use. I am thinking of making one for a gift for my friend.

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely be coming back to get the template for the snowflakes!