Sunday, September 21, 2014

Southern Belle Cotton Fabric Summer Jackets



Above: Another splendid Redoute painting of roses.



These summer jackets required lining in the pattern, but as the dresses were already heavy enough for summer, I did not want to add more warmth, so I used a single layer of Southern Belle cotton fabric and just hemmed it around the edges.  Sometimes hot summers have cooler mornings, and these can be worn over the house dresses.  They also give a more formal look for going out, and even the stores are sometimes too chilly with the refrigeration.


Whenever I go to Costco and see the lovely girl's dresses, I wonder why they are not available  in grown-up ladies sizes, and I hear other ladies expressing the same sentiment.  This is why I wanted to see if I could make mother-daughter dresses with cottons to wear at home.

I wish these looked as nice as they really are but the line just does not show the best in these garments. If I make any more, I will use the dress forms for a photo.

I based my styles for adult dresses mainly on some of the elements of the little girls dresses: looser at the waist, giving more comfort, front buttons, making it easier to dress yourself, lace at the hems, novelty buttons, cute jackets, interesting sleeves.

Here is the girl's dress...


...and here is the lady's dress. I will add a picture of my matching dress and jacket at the end, when I get time.


Here is an interesting jacket I hope to make in the future...

...and here is the jacket pattern I used for the girl's dress.


I am looking for this fabric that used to be sold at Joann Fabrics and is no longer.  I think it was called Lilypad Pond or Lilypad Pond Forest.  I would like to make a couple of "lake" dresses.  Even if I had just a yard of it I could use it as borders on skirts and sleeve cuffs and create something pretty.

I have walked on the dew-drenched path in the early light and  unlocked the meeting house, turned on the lights and set out the communion trays, and had a look at the flannel-graph stories in my classroom. I am looking forward to the hearing the  sweet voices of the saints singing, the gospel message, and the worship services today.  I hope you all have a blessed and restful Lord's Day.

3 comments:

J♥Yce Burrows said...

Would this fabric be a match or close?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-Lilypads-Pond-Butterflies-Novelty-Quilt-Fabric-Fat-Quarter-FQ-FQs-/310880588265?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item4861ed51e9

Love Redoute...and Hulme and other florals. So pretty, as are the outfits/patterns!

Lydia said...

Joyce I put the picture on the main post. It looks like a better photograph of the same fabric. Thanks.

J♥Yce Burrows said...

You're welcome; wonderful! :-)