Sunday, January 22, 2017

Vintage Dresses


"Art and Dreams" by American Artist Robert Vonna, 1858-1933


Hello Ladies,

The comments about the color of the Inauguration dress got me thinking more about fabrics and dresses in that color.  The ones pictured here are vintage Laura Ashley dresses. 


I have added a few more comments here: what these dresses do not show is the way many of us used to raise the neckline by pinning a dollar store doily or a piece of lace in the front just inside the shoulders. Do you remember that? I am going to start doing that again when I have  not had time to alter a neckline on a commercial dress or to raise the neckline on a home made dress that still was not high enough. I hope to put a dress on the dress form today and demonstrate how we added the folded doily to our necklines. 


Below is some blue fleece for a jacket and Waverly cotton called "China Blue" from Walmart. I enjoy Waverly because it has a glossy surface and linen-like weave and feels so luxurious and is such a nice fabric to work with while sewing.
If I ever get a dress sewn with this fabric I will get a photo of it next to a blue tea cup.


I hope the Inauguration dress will create an interest in ladies clothing with higher necklines. There appear to be darts at the neckline in this dress, but it may be just decorative seams. I have attempted a few sketches of the jacket and dress, and wondered if pattern companies are going to publish patterns of it.  If so, I would have to alter the pattern in other areas but would definitely like to know how to make the neckline.

I found this 1950's vintage pattern shown in an Etsy store:
I typed in "vintage dress patterns with high necklines" and this was one of the few that showed up. There may be some in the current sewing catalogs at fabric stores, as they are reviving these styles.  I will have to say, having lived through 1950's fashion, the clothes of that era were not as comfortable as the 1980's styles and didnot fit the majority of women very well. I am still collecting Lanz, Gunne Sax and Laura Ashley sewing patterns from the 1980's and 90's.


10 comments:

Susan-Anne White said...

In my opinion, both Laura Ashley dresses in your post are too low-cut. The first one appears to have the top button undone, but even if it was buttoned, it would still be too low-cut. If both dresses had higher necklines, they would be very pretty indeed.

Josephine's Girl said...

I love Laura Ashley, vintage. Here's a photo of a model wearing my wedding gown circa 1993.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1990s+laura+Ashley+wedding+gowns&view=detailv2&&id=97C1760B669B682E09AE09A6A6D4C02AF27CDBA3&selectedIndex=13&ccid=JP2KQ9KA&simid=608028625822943848&thid=OIP.JP2KQ9KA887Yi_Vr21HThADTEs

Dawn said...

Wow, those Laura Ashley dresses are so beautiful! I wish clothes like this would come back in style. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Secondhand Blessings said...

I really like that blue dress with the hat and matching ribbon. very pretty!

God's Grace Overflows said...

Beautiful dresses! I think the vintage look needs to come back in style. All the dresses out there now a days are so low, so see through and so not feminine. I really like the second dress you posted. Very pretty! I think Mrs. Trumps dress was amazing!

Have a lovely day, Lydia!
Hugs, Amy

Lynn said...

I am now committed to sewing and dressing myself in ONLY LIGHT BLUE....the dresses on the ladies in the painting are breathtaking, in my view.

Blessed Homemaking said...

I love the dress with the pretty light pink flowers. It's so lovely and feminine. And that is a wonderful idea about using doilies or lace to make neck lines higher!

Unknown said...

Hello. I have been reading your articles for a couple years now. Very inspiring. I have sewn my own modest clothes for over 20 years. I attended a Mennonite church for awhile and have studied what the Bible teaches about God's views of clothing.I have found a lot of patterns that are old fashioned in pattern company books. I wear dresses sold as costumes for prairie style dresses. I also altered a couple nightgown patterns to use as dresses. They all have necklines right up to my neck. Mennonite ladies draw their dress patterns from scratch and I had worn a couple cape dresses designed by one lady for me. I have an Etsy store myself and have sold modest and cape dresses to ladies. I have found several websites where ladies sell modest dresses. There are a few shops on Etsy too. I have found a big demand for modest dresses. If I had better health to make them, I am sure I could sell many more dresses.I was not sure if I am allowed to share a link to my shop.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

These really are beautiful dresses, I agree. I do remember the days of attaching lace to the necklines so as to not be immodest in any way. Perhaps we are about to see a different look for fashion upon us, how refreshing that would be! Enjoyed your post today :)

Anonymous said...

I was inspired to start learning to sew after reading the book The Lost Art of Dress, which I have been wanting to recommend to you for quite a while. I am certain u and your readers would find it both enlightening and encouraging. Even with five children six years old and younger I have been able to complete to pieces of clothing (by the grace of God!). Thank you for your mentor ship and inspiration.